Employer: Missaukee Conservation District
Office Location: 7192 E 34 Road, Cadillac, MI 49601 - The individual will be employed by the Missaukee
Conservation District; workstation will be in the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS),
Cadillac location. Assignments are in a multi-county area.
Compensation: $19.75-$21 per hour based on experience
Schedule: 40 hours per week grant-funded position. Typically, Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm,
infrequent nights and weekends may occur for training or conferences.
Benefits: Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; Aflac; and $5,000/year stipend for health
reimbursement and/or retirement.
Position start date: Two weeks after hire date
Position Summary: The CTAI Soil Conservationist will provide oversight for implementation of
conservation practices under the 2018 Farm Bill. The work involves treating a variety of agriculture
problems, questions, or situations (relating to the planning, design, and installation of conservation
practices) in accordance with NRCS guidelines. Work is performed under the technical guidance of the
NRCS District Conservationist.
Working Environment: Field visits may involve walking on rough terrain, carrying equipment, or
climbing steep banks during adverse conditions (weather, bugs, etc.). The position requires average
agility and dexterity during field visits. Protective gear and clothing such as hard hat, boots, and gloves
may be necessary during field visits. This position will be a combination of office and field work.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
● Conduct field visits to obtain data and other information as necessary for the implementation of
NRCS conservation practices such as, but not limited to, pest management, nutrient
management, forest management, wildlife habitat management, and tree/shrub establishment.
● Provide on-site technical assistance for the implementation of conservation practices. Follow up
with landowners as needed.
● Provide technical assistance to cooperators in the development of Farm Bill contracts and the
application and maintenance of conservation practices.
● Assist the NRCS District Conservationist with Farm Bill payments, modifications, and any other
administrative duties as needed.
● Develop informational presentations or written material for promotion of USDA and
Conservation District programs locally. May conduct field tours and demonstrations to further
the adoption of conservation practices.
● Utilize references to complete work, including, but not limited to, USDA NRCS policy and
procedure as outlined in Bulletins, Technical Releases, and the Field Office Technical Guide.
Missaukee Conservation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Program Provider
● Attend monthly board meetings of Missaukee Conservation District and Wexford Conservation
● Complete, document, and submit required reporting to the Missaukee Conservation District, the
Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD), and NRCS.
● Complete all required training in a timely manner.
● Support the goals and expectations of the Missaukee Conservation District.
● Bridge relationships with all partners within the service area, work cooperatively with the staff
and board of the Missaukee and Wexford Conservation Districts.
● Bachelor's degree in soil conservation or a related agricultural, environmental, or natural
resources discipline such as agronomy, soil science, forestry, agricultural education, or
● Must pass a federal background check and hold a valid driver’s license.
● Must have a personal vehicle for minimal travel when a NRCS vehicle is not available. Individuals
will be reimbursed at the IRS standard rate for all milage accrued using a personal vehicle.
● Submit cover letter, resume, and three references to [email protected] by September
30, 2023. Please list ‘CTAI Soil Conservationist Application” in the subject line.
● Position is open until filled.